Thursday, May 5, 2011

Storms

I don't even know how to describe the storms that hit Birmingham last Wednesday.  Our neighborhood got hit by the first round of storms Wednesday morning.  I'm not exactly sure what it was but I know that I am still not a fan of tornado's.   



 Fence post just snapped like a twig


















The weather alert system had gone off a few times and we just ignored it (Paul knows that I cant stand it going off while I am trying to sleep, because with the amount that I do get I like whatever I can get.)  But Wednesday that has all changed.  We were sleeping in bed and the weather alert went off, I could hear the rain and hail pelting the windows.  A few minutes later the baby monitor started going crazy.  I got up.  Walked to the front of the house, checked on Reagan, walked to the front room and looked out the window.  The tree was blowing sideways. 
 During the storm I thought the tree was going to snap in half.

I just could believe it.  It was hard to stop looking.  Paul went and grabbed Reagan.  We started to walk to the hall closet and the winds stopped.  I headed to the kitchen and looked out the door.....  

S~ "Oh my word!" 
P~ "What is it?
S~ "There is nothing! 

I sure was glad to have Paul home with us on that Wednesday.  We were never without power or water.  The cable ans phone were out for a few days and to use our cell phones we had to go to the end of the road... annoying but grateful to still have our home. 

All of our neighbor's fences were blown over/away/apart.  There was furniture and fence in our yard.  Big wood playgrounds were blown over.  A metal shed picked up and dropped at neighbors back door.  To see this little damage in your own back yard was unbelievable.  

We were very lucky to have only lost some shingles off the roof.... but when the evening storm came... people lost EVERYTHING!  Homes, cars, lives!  The damage in our neighborhood was not bad compared to others...To think that we could of been like so many others... left with nothing
 (photo from google images)


Paul's friend went up in an airplane and took this picture.  Its not very good.  But the long yellow box is the path of the storm.  The circle is where the Alabama football stadium is located.


Reagan and I had to go out of town for the weekend... when we came back it was so sad to see that the destruction and devastation was REAL and people were still without EVERYTHING. We were very blessed.

I hope that we don't see this again for a LONG time.

No comments: