Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Day to Remember

(I took this from Ashley's blog to share the story of Reagan's Arrival.  I will be adding some of my own also.  Ashley~ Thanks for letting me steal your post!)
 
 
October 19th, 2010: A day I will never forget.

I had a lot of plans for after work as I was preparing for the Girls Group baby shower, but those plans would never happen.  We had finished feeding the kids lunch, was having a snack, and playing with the kids till it was nap time.  I felt like I had to use the bathroom and then realized it wasn't what I thought it was.  I kept telling myself, "no way! there is no way that my water broke".  As I am trying to convince myself that my water really wasn't broke, I really knew that it had.   

At 12:35 while at work I get a text from Sarah...OMG! I think my water just broke!. She is in the bathroom at the church day school. I came out of the bathroom and said to Monica I think my water broke, she said (very calm) um you should come sit down.  She went to get Kelly and the fun began. With it being the Tuesday before her shower at my house on that Friday and her due date not until December 2nd, I was wondering if she was playing a trick on me so I immediately dialed her back instead of texting. What?! She explained and I said OMG call your doctor! She calls her doctor then calls me back to say she has to wait for them to call her back. Paul being a pilot was in flight from New Jersey to Orlando. I asked her if she wanted me to come get her because I figured the doctor would want her to come in to be evaluated no matter what. Then the doctor was calling in. She called me back to say Kelly Davis from the day school would drive her to save time but would I meet her at St.Vincent's. Of course! Kelly and I walk out to her car as the water continues to flow.  We head towards the hospital and try to remember what Paul told me to do IF he was working and I did go into labor.  I called Scheduling and they transfer me to Dispatch... and then the phone disconnects.  Finally I try Paul again hoping that he landed in Orlando and was not getting ready to leave for Newark.  The phone rings and he answers... thank you God is my thought.  I ask him what he is doing... and then tell him he has to come to Birmingham, my water broke.  Out the door from work I went running, even thought about putting my flashers on..ha! I arrived literally a minute after they did at 1:04 in the labor & delivery area.   I didnt realize Ashley even arrived because I was signing in and the nurse said "Well we will hook you up to the monitors and observe you and make sure your water broke."  I step around the counter and laugh, "is this observation enough", as my jeans are SOAKED all the way to my feet.  She said, "Oh yes I think your water is broke."  Ashley, Kelly, and all of the nurses were wonderful.  There were a lot (yes, a lot) of laughs during this whole situation and as we rolled to the OR the laughs continued.  
 
A longer story short, at 1:45 it was determined that Sarah needed an emergency c-section that would be performed at 2:30 and Paul wasn't going to make it back in time.  When I heard Paul was not going to make it that was the worst news.  It had always been a fear that, that would happen.  Nurses must live for this to happen because they were so great, offered to send pictures to Paul as Reagan was being born and even recorded it on her phone.  


Have you ever been a part of something scary yet happy yet sad all at the same time? This would be the day. Scared because the baby (didn't know if it was a boy or girl at the time) would be six weeks early and all the unknowns, happy because it was the day we would get to meet this sweet baby and being there to share in the joy, but so sad Sarah and Paul would not be together in person to experience such a special moment.


It was one of those times that tears didn't even have time to flow because I was too concerned with making every second memorable for them by capturing as much as possible with two snapshot cameras and a video camera. I had the privilege to be the stand in for Paul and feel so honored that they asked me to be. I was happy to have Ashley by my side, but was also nervous hoping that she would not get sick or pass out on me.  Ashley was so awesome during it all.  I would of loved for Paul to of been there but Ashley was defiantly a wonderful stand in. Sarah and I (as well as Paul & Shaun) had a very close friendship but I think after this day it is even greater and forever will be.
Scrubs on and a little anxious
 Paul (in Orlando airport) was on speaker phone so he heard "It's a girl!" and her first cry. 
Our first family picture.  Ashley did a wonderful job catching everything, pictures and video.  As I heard It's a girl, I thought Dr. Davis was lying.  I just felt that we were having a boy because Paul wanted a girl.  
 
Born at 2:54 p.m. 4 lbs 11 oz
In her incubator-Sarah didn't want me to leave the baby so I went with her to NICU
Once she got to the NICU the nurses took her cap off so I could take more pictures
 
Then I was back to check on Sarah, one of the strongest and most courageous individuals I know. This was only an hour afterwards, doesn't she look great to have just gone through such.
Paul arrived at 7:00 p.m. They were immediately on their way to see their new baby girl.  Having so many wonderful people around me helped take my mind off of what had really happened.  But I did know that Paul could not get there fast enough.  When Paul finally arrived I felt a relief that he was finally here.
Tiny but strong
Reagan was so small but everyday she amazed us.
Then they revealed her name...Reagan Mackenzie Hearn
Paul finally meeting Reagan.
A special day and a special little girl that will always mean so much to me.   
Ashley and Reagan will always have that special bond.  
We are so happy that God blessed Ashley and Shaun into our lives.
As well as everyone else who was there with me on this so unexpected day.

No comments: